Friday, March 4, 2011

It's Sad

Maybe you've read about it, maybe you haven't.
Wednesday afternoon, two US Airman were shot and killed at the Frankfurt International Airport in Frankfurt, Germany. Two others were seriously hurt and are in critical condition. The man who shot these people was a young man from Kosivo. There is talk that it was a terrorist attack. The people who were shot at were from both RAF Lakenheath in England, and Ramstein AB here in Germany. I've been thinking about this over and over and over again since I heard the news on Wednesday night. It just really hit hard, I think mostly because not only do I know people from both bases, but it's so close to home. We are 2 1/2 hours away from Frankfurt. Anytime we travel to/from the states, it's through that airport. We've had multiple friends and family fly there. I cannot tell you how many times me and Nathan have been there. And Nathan is always traveling there to pick people from his shop up. I even know a friend who went there that same day. It could have been anyone I know. It could have been Nathan. It could have even been me. My heart is really aching for those families. I can't tell you how many times this has crossed my mind in these past few days.
I think about these articles I've been reading that say that our service members are here ready to drop everything at a moments notice to go fight this war against terrorism. I'm not going to lie, it's not always like that. Maybe for the Army or Marines, or some other branch of the military, I can't really speak for them since I don't know that life style. But here, especially in our house or with people I know, we just live our normal daily life. I don't constantly worry about if someone is going to drop bombs on our base. I don't sit around with women talking about the next time our husbands get deployed. We talk about how things are different here than in the states or the new things our kids are doing. I believe, for the most part, we live like any other American family. Sure we move around and our family members get deployed.. but that's not apart of our day to day life. I can't say that I've ever worried about Nathan when he has gone to the Frankfurt Airport (we also try to blend in as much as possible.. Nathan never wears his uniform off base). So when I hear that some of our own (meaning other Airman) have been attacked, let alone in the country we live in, it is still very shocking. I think the media plays it out to be like we just expect our husbands to drop dead at a moments notice. No.. No.. it hits us the same way it would hit any American. It's scary and heartbreaking no matter who you are.
One of my friends posted on Facebook today that it's disgusting that Lindsey Lohan will be in the news for days and days and days and weeks and months for stealing a necklace in February and two US Military members get killed TWO DAYS AGO and you have to literally search it out on CNN.com. Our country is getting ridiculous. I started bawling the other night because I was thinking about how I have to raise my child in a world like this. People care more about their entertainment than they do about real news, about what's really going on in the world. Maybe people just think that if it's not right in front of them, then it's not happening. People are so oblivious.
And don't even get me started on that Baptist church that feels the need to picket people's funerals. I want to punch everyone of them in their face. I know, I'm supposed to be the bigger person and just hope that one day they'll recognize their actions and want to change, but seriously?! I just cannot people are actually like this. I guess that's what I get for being an optimist.

Anyways, Noah is napping right now and he's got a little smile under his pacifier. It's adorable. I love this kid too much. I can honestly say that having him in my life has filled a hole I've had for years. I know you'll think I'm crazy for saying this but I can't wait to have more.
Oh yea, Nathan's pretty great too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment